The archpriest basilica of Saints Gervasius and Protasius is located in the heart of Rapallo’s historic centre.
It was built, in Gothic-Romanesque style, probably in medieval times and a plaque inside indicates 1118 as the date of its dedication, although historians do not agree with this date. Over time, it was subjected to various remodelling and modifications, until the reconstruction works between the 17th and 18th centuries that led to the erasure of its previous Gothic-Romanesque architectural appearance, making it take on an 18th-century appearance. The tall, leaning bell tower dates back to 1753, and in the second half of the 19th century further substantial changes were approved to the interior and the new neoclassical façade by architect Gio Batta Olivieri. In the early 20th century, thanks to the new archpriest Monsignor Cesare Boccoleri, there was the definitive rebuilding of the Basilica and the construction of the monumental dome, which was completed in 1920.Rapallo Basilica dome
In ancient times, the parish of Rapallo was of great importance and its jurisdiction extended over a vast territory, from the current municipalities of Portofino to San Pietro di Rovereto, above Zoagli, and as far as Cicagna in the Fontanabuona valley. Important popular meetings were held where decisions of the social, political and religious life of the area were taken.
Even today, the Rapallo parish community is the largest in the Chiavari diocese with around 18,000 inhabitants.