Don’t be fooled by its unassuming appearance on the sea side, the real beauty always lies within!
It is the only one left of the five gates that gave access to Rapallo’s walled borough. The name is due to the fact that it stood near large seawater settling tanks used for salt extraction. The Baroque appearance of the interior is the result of an 18th-century makeover. In the niche in the centre is a gleaming modern reproduction of the small picture venerated in the Montallegro Sanctuary, built where Our Lady appeared to a peasant in 1557.
Curiosity: For over a century, a mysterious carob tree has been growing clinging to the Gate!