The ‘Campanone del Comune’: a symbol of peace that has stood for almost 600 years!
After a long period of bloody fighting between members of opposing Raphael families, it was decided in 1473 to erect a tower to symbolise the end of hostilities. Four delegates were appointed with the task of imposing and collecting the necessary funds for the construction: each citizen would contribute according to a ‘true and pure conscience’. The tower, made of squared stones, is leaning against the Pieve di Santo Stefano so much so that it looks like its bell tower. Remodelled several times, it is still one of the symbols of the city.
Curiosity: In the past, the bell of the civic tower was very important, as it marked the hours of the day and rang out at meetings of the city council.