It is the ancient symbol of Rapallo. A must for romantic spirits and fans of military architecture: at sunset, its reflection on the sea provides unforgettable emotions!
It was built by the Republic of Genoa to ward off new pirate raids in 1550, a year after the bloody attack by Barbary pirates who, led by the fearsome Dragut, had attacked the city and taken many Rapallo prisoners.
Initially small and detached from the mainland, it long housed the city’s prisons in its dark underbelly, while today it is used for exhibitions and events.
Curiosity: On 3 July, at the height of the celebrations in honour of Our Lady of Montallegro, it is set on fire!